|History of the Lower Hudson Valley Branch|
Following on the success of the Long Island Branch, the Met Section Board of Directors decided to study the possibility of establishing a new branch in the area comprised of Rockland and Westchester counties to better serve and represent members living and/or working in those areas. On December 11, 2002, the Lower Hudson Valley Committee was officially kicked off in an organizational meeting and technical lecture on "The Future of Public Works in the Lower Hudson Valley" in Tarrytown, NY.
The year 2002 was also a milestone for ASCE and Met Section members residing in the Lower Hudson Valley. The original founders of ASCE were among the many engineers who designed and built the Croton Water Supply System, which was designated an ASCE National Historical Landmark in 1975. In fact, the first meeting to establish ASCE took place in the Rotunda Building, in the office of Alfred W. Craven, chief engineer of the Croton Aqueduct Department on November 5, 1852. Establishing a new branch in the 150th anniversary year was another way of celebrating ASCE's heritage.
A total of 83 Met Section members signed a petition to establish a new ASCE branch in Rockland and Westchester counties. The Lower Hudson Valley Branch was formally established on July 12, 2003 at a meeting of the ASCE National Council of Vice Presidents. Richard Cassin, who spearheaded and organized the effort to start the new branch, served as the branch's first president.
Past Presidents:2010-11 Michael S. MacNeil
2009-10 Michael M. McHugh
2008-09 William J. McCarthy III
2007-08 Chase DeRose, Sr.
2006-07 James J. Yarmus
2005-06 Anthony Cioffi
2004-05 Richard B. Cassin
2003-04 Richard B. Cassin
|ASCE National Website|