It is hard for me to believe that my term is up in June and that this is my LAST Presidents Message. I had a great year! This year I made some new friends, gave a presentation to a group of Russian engineers and contractors, visited Reston, Virginia, Las Vegas, Nevada and Ithaca, New York, I learned a lot and deepened my love for civil engineering and ASCE. I would like to use this month's message to highlight some of our accomplishments as well as some still unfinished business.
- The Geotech Group is now a Geo-Institute Chapter.
- We helped launch the Iridescent Science Center in the Bronx.
- We established the First High School ASCE Civil Engineering Club at City Poly High School in Brooklyn!
- We increased outreach activities.
- We created a better relationship with the Met Section colleges and universities.
- We submitted an application to start a new ASCE student chapter at to Nassau Community College.
- We hired a new accounting firm to assist the Section’s Treasurer.
- We started to form an ASCE Met Section Operations Manual.
- The Forensic Engineering Committee is now a technical group.
- We initiated new Board Director responsibilities.
- We formed a new Engineering Mechanics Committee (pending)
- By-Laws revisions
- Financial guidelines
- Continue support for the Met Section student chapters
- Better market ASCE and the Met Section
- Finalize the new ASCE student chapter at Nassau Community College
- Re-establish ties with the ASCE student chapter at Hofstra University
- Complete the Section’s Audit
- Finish the New York State and Long Island Report Cards
- Put in place the new meeting and seminar policies
Please check the Met Section calendar for Section and Branch activities for the months of May and June. I hope you will join us at Terrace on the Park for the Met Section Dinner Dance and Awards Presentation on Wednesday, June 15th.
This past year, I tried to serve ASCE and the Met Section to the best of my ability. I hope that I made a positive impact on the ASCE Met Section. It was truly an honor for me to serve as your President!
Thank you for giving me this opportunity; it is one that I will never forget!
Prof. Anthony Cioffi, P.E.
President, ASCE Met Section