Long Island Branch Mid Year President's Message
January 1, 2011 marked ASCE's recognition of four Long Island Branch members for achieving Life Member status. When you see them, please congratulate:
- Benjamin Bletsch, P.E., M.ASCE
- Steven Schneider, P.E., M.ASCE
- Peter Pomeranz, P.E., M.ASCE
The LIB Board will present their certificates at the April, 2011 technical meeting.
During the 2010 – 2011 year, the Long Island Branch has held the following activities:
- On September 16, 2010 we held the annual ITE/ASCE Joint Transportation Meeting at the Milleridge Inn Cottage House in Jericho.
- The annual ASCE LI Branch Golf Outing was held on September 29, 2010 at Timber Point Golf Course.
- A Technical Meeting was held on October 14, 2010 at Domenico's Restaurant in Levittown where Eileen Keenan from the New York Sea Grant (on loan to NYSDEC) spoke about "Updated storm water permit requirements for construction and municipalities."
- Alberto Villaman, P.E. of HAKS and Peter Nardone, P.E. of Defoe Corp. presented "Emergency Repairs on the Gowanus Expressway" at our November 18, 2010 Technical Meeting.
- The annual Transportation Luncheon was held at the delightful Carlyle on the Green in Bethpage State Park. Nassau County Commissioner Shila Shah-Gavnoudias, P.E. discussed the projects planned by Nassau County Department of Public Works along with their scheduled start dates.
- A joint Technical Meeting with SWE was held on January 11, 2011 at Domenico's Restaurant in Levittown. The topic was "Ethics" and was presented by Mr. Michael J. Vardaro, a Partner with the award winning law firm of Zetlin & De Chiara LLP.
Please save the following dates and check the ASCE web site for updates.
- A joint technical meeting with the Nassau County PE Society will be held on February 24, 2011. Mr. Joe Englot PE will discuss "Orthotropic Steel Deck Repairs to the George Washington Bridge."
- On March 24, 2011 Mr. Barry Chapler, Senior Project Manager, LIRR will discuss "Building Bridges within Bridges."
- The April technical meeting topic is TBD.
Please remember to make your reservations early for the annual dinner dance to be held at the wonderful Westbury Manor on May 5, 2011.
We encourage and look forward to your participation in ASCE Long Island Branch activities and events. Please submit your ideas and recommendations for project specific awards to any Board member as early as possible.
Hank Hessing, P.E., F.ASCE
President ASCE LI Branch