January 1, 2012 marked ASCE's recognition of ten Long Island Branch members for achieving Life Member status. When you see them, please congratulate them:
- Gilberto Diaz, PE, M.ASCE
- Martin J. Fradua, PE, F.ASCE
- Henry W. Hessing, PE, F.ASCE
- Joseph R. Jenal, PE, M.ASCE
- Lawrence F. Levy, PE, M.ASCE
- Kent H. Picken, PE, M.ASCE
- Joseph G. Scariza, PE, M.ASCE
- Robert C. Spatny, PE, M.ASCE
- Charles H. Weidner, PE, M.ASCE
- Robert B. Welner, PE, M.ASCE
The LIB Board presented their certificates at the April 19, 2012 technical meeting.
During the 2011 – 2012 year, the Long Island Branch has held the following activities:
- September 15, 2011 - ITE/ASCE Joint Transportation Meeting @ Milleridge Inn Cottage House, Jericho.
- October 13, 2011 - Technical Meeting @ Domenico's Restaurant, Levittown. The speaker was Nico Sutmoller and the topic was "Geofoam-A Lightweight Fill Alternative".
- November 17, 2011 - Technical Meeting @ Domenico's Restaurant, Levittown.The topic was "JFK-1020 Runway 13R-31L Reconstruction and Access Improvement" and were presented by Mr. Jim Steven, P.E., Mr. Thomas Amoia, P. E. and Mr. Guy Zummo,P.E.
- December 2, 2011 - The Annual Transportation Luncheon was held at the delightful Carlyle on the Green, Bethpage State Park. Long Island Rail Road Chief Program Officer Mr. Kevin Tomlinson discussed the projects planned by Long Island Rail Road along with their scheduled start dates.
- January 19, 2012 - Technical Meeting sponsored by GEB HIRISE Engineering was held @ Domenico's Restaurant, Levittown. The topic was "ADA Accessibility Update for Engineer" and was presented by Mrs. Kleo J. King.
- February 16, 2012 - Technical Meeting was held @ Domenico's Restaurant, Levittown. The topic was "Crevice Corrosion of Reinforcing Steel in Concrete" and was presented by Mr. Thomas D. Gibbons, P.E.
- March 15, 2012 - Technical Meeting was held @ Domenico's Restaurant, Levittown. The topic was "Lessons From Failures For Structural Engineers" and was presented by Mr. David B. Peraza, P.E.
- On April 19, 2012 - Technical Meeting was sponsored by VHB and was held @ Domenico's Restaurant, Levittown. The topic was "The Long Island Motor Parkway Master Plan" and was presented by Ms. Kathleen M. Ogden, RLA, LEED AP.
Please remember to make your reservations early for the annual dinner dance to be held at the wonderful Westbury Manor on May 3, 2012. We encourage and look forward to your participation in ASCE Long Island Branch activities and events. Please submit your ideas and recommendations for project specific awards to any Board member as early as possible.
Jason Chen, PE, M.ASCE
President, ASCE Long Island Branch